(Week of 11.04.08)
Election Day has come and gone. I had the opportunity to work the polls on Election Day at Lee Avenue in Hicksville. It was such an incredible learning experience to see how things work on the other side of the table on voting day. I went to bed Monday night at 9 pm and woke up at 4 am to be at the polling place by 5:30. I arrived early with coffee in hand, ready to start my day, knowing that I had a 17 hour work day in front of me. Somehow, the thought of working 17 hours did not bother me but having the experience in front of me was, instead, rather exciting. I introduced myself to the other workers who were all very nice and helped to set things up for the big day. Before I knew it was 6 am and the doors open. Crowds of people rushed in and there was nothing but lines at the tables. My coffee was cold before I had a chance to drink it but I didn't mind too much, one of the workers ran out to Dunkin' Donuts hours later. I spent the morning signing people in and keeping track of the number system for the machines. After my lunch break at 11 am, I spent time pushing the reset button on each voting machine next to our table for each voter in line. I also assisted people in teaching them how to use the voting machines. Eventually, I went back to signing people into the voter's registry book and tracking the number system for the machines. At the end of the night, I was chosen to read the numbers off of the back of the voting machine, which are read and then reread and recorded by three different people.
Senator McCain may not have won the election, but he won Lee Avenue. I got home around 10 pm, ate and sat exhausted in front of the TV to watch the news on the election. I was very disappointed when the Senator I voted for did not win but I rooted for him all the way until the very end. Senator McCain gave a sad, inspiring and beautiful speech in the end of it all. I stayed up long enough to hear President-elect Obama's speech, feeling that I should try to muster up some level of acceptance over the results since we'd have the next four years in the white house with him. His speech was well spoken, despite how I feel for him as our next leader. Nobody can deny that it was an excellent milestone for African-Americans in this country. President-elect Obama is not my choice by far but I will try to have faith that he will do a good job. For me, Obama will have to make many good moves as President to gain my support but I have resolved to give him that opportunity. I hope that he proves my expectations wrong.
Overall, it turned out to be a good day. Over 6,000 people showed up to Lee Avenue where I worked at the polls. It was an excellent learning experience. I look forward to our next election.
Vocabulary Words
1. opportunity (n): a favorable circumstance usually giving the chance for advancement. I used this word to describe how I view my day of work at the polls on Election Day.
2. incredible (adj): describes when something/situation is too hard to believe, when something/situation seems to be impossible. I used this word to describe my feelings about my work day at the polls on Election Day and the learning experience I had.
3. Somehow (adv): in a way or method that is unknown. I used this to explain that the thought of 17 hours of work didn't bother me.
4. bother (vt/vi): to cause a disturbance, worry or annoyance. I used this word to, again, explain my thoughts and feelings about my long work hours on Election Day.
5. Eventually (adv): finally, ultimately, in the end. I used this word in my paragraph to help discuss and emphasize the different tasks involved in my day.
6. beautiful (adj): having or possessing beauty, very pleasing to the eye or other senses. I used this word in my passage to describe how I felt about Senator McCain's speech on Election Day.
7. muster (vt): to gather together. I used this word in my passage to express my efforts and difficulty in trying to accept President-elect Obama as the next President.
8. faith (n): unquestioning belief in something or someone that does not require proof or evidence. I used this word in the passage to express my feelings now about the new choice for the next President and my resolve for hope.
Grammatical Structure Exercise: Verbs in the Past Tense
1. arrived (vi): past tense of the word, arrive. I used this word when talking about the time my job started on Election Day and my experience getting the day started.
2. introduced (vt): past tense of the word, introduce. I used this word when discussing how I acted when I entered the school upon my interraction with other employees there.
3. recorded (vt): past tense of the word, record. I used this word to describe one of my many duties throughout the day.
4. dissapointed (vt): past tense of the word, dissapoint. I used this word to describe my feelings after the Election was over.
Other Verbs in the Past Tense:
- had - exhausted - turned - was - voted - showed - helped - rooted - worked - rushed - stayed - spent - resolved
Practice Exercise: Questions
1. What were my feelings about working at the polls on Election Day? ________________
2. What time did I wake up on the morning of Election Day? _____________
3. Why did my coffee get cold? ________________
4. What were my different jobs throughout the day? ___________________________
5. What did I do when the polls closed? ________________________________
Close Exercise: Sentences Using the Vocabulary Words
1. America is the land of ________________.
2. He is such an ______________ actor.
3. _________ I managed to get all of my homework done and still get 8 hours of sleep.
4. Why _________?
5. _____________, I became tired and fell asleep with my book in my hand.
6. The wild flowers are very _____________.
7. I tried to _________ up the energy to do the chores.
8. I come from a family of very strong _________.
http://eslus.com/LESSONS/GRAMMAR/POS/pos3.htm
(for grammar and information on Verbs)
1 comment:
Wow! That is a long day! That definetely was a crazy election and at least you got to experience it.
Post a Comment