
Week of 11-11-08
Being an an avid reader, a lover of English, a major in English, a writer, an artist and an employee in a bookstore gives me a lot of insight into the world of books. At Borders, I get to learn a lot about different authors and meet great authors as they visit the store. Having worked in the publishing end of the book world in the past, I now get to understand how things work on the bookstore end of things as well. It's not only interesting but very educational and enjoyable. I just like being around books, I guess. I enjoy the discounts too.
Recently, I came across the Twilight Series and the huge epidemic that has risen over the dark romance series written by Stephenie Meyers that she came up with in a dream. Although her books have been pretty big for some time, they only recently 'blew up' with the creation of her last book in the series entitled, Breaking Dawn. The books, audiobooks, calenders, keychains, cds, posters, T-shirts, jewelry and magazines covering the series cannot be ordered quick enough- the merchandise sells out as quickly as it arrives. Concerts and parties are being hosted and held all across America. The movie for the first book entitled, Twilight, is arriving in theaters this coming Thursday, 11.21. Interviews and tours for the actors have been going on for months. The Twilight Saga is a Worldwide Bestseller.
Being an employee at a bookstore, a serious writer and an avid reader, but not ever a fan of dark books, I couldn't help but grow naturally curious over the quick-growing craze surrounding the series. I was hesitant at first to get involved knowing I didn't really have time in my life to start a series and I was unsure of getting involved in a 'dark' sort of book. Finally, after months of watching the craze over the most recent book, I reluctantly gave in and bought the first book in the four book series a week ago. Each book in the series is longer than the one before it, with the last book reaching nearly 800 pages! I'm nearly at the end of the second book, New Moon, in only eight days. The characters that the author built come to life on the pages and it's unbelievable how addicting the literature becomes. It's a book read by all ages from 7 and 8 years of age up to 65 years of age. High schools are assigning the book in English classes and mid-aged book clubs are assigning it for their readers at the same time. The range of age for the series is unbelievable to me. Not even Harry Potter seemed to have such a crazed following with the age-range of followers as wide as the series by Meyers. Each customer I've spoken to, at every age, tells me that it hasn't taken them more than a few days to finish one book... they're really that addicting! Now that I'm reading the books, I can agree with them. They were right.
As a writer, reading the book and examining the way the author built her characters gives me inspiration in my own writing - which I am constantly working on while I weave in and out of different storylines until something hits. I currently have four different pieces I'm working on, some further along than others and in different genres - two in science fiction, one in self help/motivational and one in chick literature. When I read, I read as a writer and it helps me to grow in my own writing. I pick up on different styles and techniques that I like and dislike. As I've read in many places, the best writers are avid readers.
You don't have to be a writer to enjoy this series. For readers and even for those who don't enjoy to read, I would definelty suggest this series. The characters and the storyline are worth checking out. If you read nothing else this year, it should be this series. A nice dark romance which has a lot of chick lit (which I discovered by reading it) wrapped up in the gothic story about a simple, normal small town human girl named Bella who falls in love with a vampire. It's a story where Bella is torn between many things and the reader is as well... telling you more than that could spoil it. But for me, and I know I sound like a nerd, my heart is with Edward in the series. Read it and tell me who you're vote's with! Seriously, you won't be able to turn the pages fast enough!
Vocabulary Words
1. avid (adj): having an intense desire or craving; eager or enthusiastic. I used this word in my passage to describe what type of reader I am.
2. understand (vt): to get or perceive the meaning of. I used this word in my passage to describe my work and what I do.
3. Twilight (n): the subdued light just after sunset, or in less common usage, just before sunrise; the period from sunset to dark; the title of the first book in the Stephenie Meyers series. This word is used in my passage to name the book in the Meyers series.
4. epidemic(adj): prevalent and spreading rapidly in a community among many individuals at the same time; widespread; contagious. I used this word in my passage to describe the outpouring of interest in the Twilight Saga by fans across the world.
5. reluctantly (adj): opposed in mind to do something; unwilling. I used this word in my passage to describe my hesitation in reading the first book of the series.
6. nerd (n): a person regarded as contemptibly dull or unsophisticated; I used this word in my passage to describe how silly I sound about the series.
Grammatical Structure: Verbs in the Past Tense
1. worked (vi): the past tense of work; to exert oneself to accomplish something in order to do or make something. I used this word to discuss where I worked in the past.
2. crazed (vt): the past tense of craze; to cause to become mentally ill; an exaggerated mania/panic. I used this word in my passage to express the following that the books have created.
Practice Exercise: Questions
1. What are the different ways that I describe myself in the first few sentences of the passage? ____________________________________________________________
2. Where do I mention that I work in the passage? ____________________________
3. What is the name of the book series that is discussed in the passage? ________________
4. Who do I mention is the author of the series? _____________________
5. Who is my favorite character in the series? ______________________
Close Exercise: Sentences to Match the Vocabulary Words
1. I didn't know you were an _________ gardener. Your backyard is beautiful.
2. I studied so hard for the test. Thankfully, after days of studying, I finally __________ the material.
3. My favorite part of the day is ___________ because that's when the sky is prettiest.
4. I hear the flu is going around. I hope I don't catch it, it seems to be the latest __________.
5. _____________, I rolled out of bed to go to work at 5 am in the morning.
6. Do you remember that movie, Revenge of the _______? It's worth checking out.
http://www.manythings.org/e/reading.html (Reading with ESL Students)
1 comment:
Glad to hear that you are such an avid reader. The dark romances sound interesting. Have you read The Historian? If not, it should be your next stop.
Post a Comment